Naturalisation is the most common way for adults who were not born British to become British. People who have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) can, subject to fulfilling residence requirements, apply to naturalise as British Citizens. It is necessary to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the language, and of life in the UK, and to be good character. This can be done by taking a test or undertaking a course of study. Naturalisation takes place at a public ceremony.
There is a number if criteria which must be satisfied in full before your application will be approved, in brief:
• Time spent in the UK
• Date when you were granted Indefinite Leave to Remain
• Have you passed Life in the UK test
• Can you satisfy English language requirement
• The total number of absences from the UK over the qualifying period
• Any criminal or civil matters which may disbar you
We at M.K.Suri & Co can advise you on the most appropriate type of application for your individual circumstances and help you in the application process.